HOME       VOLUNTEER OVERSEAS       BLOGS

Tuesday 25 July 2017

Welcome to Team Zombe!


Welcome to Team Zombe!

Muli bwanji to those who are reading! This is the first blog entry from Team Zombe- the first cohort resigning in Zomba, Malawi in partnership with ICS and International Service. We are working with the charity YONECO (Youth, Net and Counselling) who’s main focus is to promote good health, applied human rights and democracy within society. They also aim to empower women, children and young adults into practicing safe sex and preventing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

So, let’s introduce you to our team…

The team leaders!

Liane
I’ve spent the last few years fulfilling my love of travel and culture, by working and backpacking in several different places. Travelling has sparked my interest in International development, and so I was thrilled to get a place on an ICS programme in Malawi. I hope we can contribute in some way while we’re here, and it’s been great working alongside the local community, whose suggestions and advice are invaluable. I’m really enjoying the friendliness of the people, the beautiful nature in Malawi, the dancing and the colourful clothes!

Samson

My name is James Samson from Mangochi. I am currently working with International Citizen Service as a team leader for the Zomba cohort. I like the contribution which I am making through International Citizen Service. It has given me an opportunity to challenge myself to change the world. This placement has also exposed me to a couple of friends, most of which are creative and supportive attributes to our project.


Team Zombe!
Top row (left to right)- Austin, David
Middle row (left to right)- Caitlyn, Salome, Lucius, Lydia, Mirriam,,Alice, Cicely, Coach
Bottom row (left to right)- Samson, Liane.


The team!

Austin

Hi! My name is Austin Kalimanjiro Junior. I’m 23 years old, and also recently graduated from University in International Relations, concentrating on development studies. I see this International Citizen Service placement as a learning process and a way to help the less privileged.  I really want to complete my masters in development studies, and have a profession in the development field someday. I want to learn and grow as a person and I hope this placement will help me.

Lucius

My name is Lucius Dam, and I’m 23 years of age. I am Malawian born, specifically in the Southern region. I was born in a family of 9 children and I am the youngest alongside my twin sister. I have a diploma in Sales and Marketing Management and I am currently working with International Citizen Service in Zomba, Malawi.  I believe this placement will help me to develop and improve my skills- personal and work related.

Coach

Hi guys! This is Coach Mwakhwawa from Karong- The northern region of Malawi. I am 24 years old, and I currently hold a diploma in Community Development. From Mzuzu Technical College. I am very happy to be on an International Citizen Service placement in Zomba, in collaboration with YONECO. This placement will help me in many ways, for instance to experience new skills and culture though the UK volunteers.

Salome

Hello, I am Salome ‘Lomie’ Kadazi, and I am 20 years old. I am a fan of British movies and African Afro beats. I volunteered with International Citizen Service through the influence of my friends, but I have realised that I made the best decision ever! I have experienced many things during the first two weeks, and I can’t wait to help out fellow peers with the voice I have! I also love my UK counterpart Caitlyn, as well as the entire of Team Zombe! Much love J

Mirriam

My name is Mirriam Kapirah, and I am 20 years old from Mzuzu- the Northern region of Malawi. I am the youngest sibling and a graduate from Mzuzu Technical College, where I was studying Community Development. The reason why I joined International Citizen Service is that I wanted to take part in developing my country, and I also want to expand my knowledge on how I can work with people from different countries and cultutes.


David

My name is David José Jimenez Beltran Gomez Ogively-Brown Esperanza Castiblanco (yes, this is really my name!) I am 18 years old, and the youngest team member. I am the care-free Latino from Tottenham, who loves nsima and is always equipped with a speaker to blast good music (under discretion by certain volunteers.) I’ve just finished sixth form and I am here on a volunteering placement before I go to University. I hope this placement brings happiness and warmth to my character, which will help me grow personally while contributing a change to others. I want to help others while experiencing a new culture, and to also have a temporary escape from the busy city life of London.

Lydia

So, I’m Lydia (but you can call me Lyd) and I am 20 years old. I am currently going into my third year of biomedical engineering. Right now, the UK feels a world away, but wow Malawi is something else; a lively and at peace place! I can’t help but fall in love with it. Dancing here is my favourite thing to do- apparently I can dance Malawian style so I never miss an opportunity! The kids at the Ndola drop in centre always cheer me up whenever I’m feeling down. Working with such inspiring young people is an incredible experience. Our team is just the best, and I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet them. I wouldn’t know what to do without them. Even with all the challenges I will have to face, I can tell this is going to be a life changing experience!

Alice

Hello, my name is Alice and I am 18 years old. I finished secondary school a year ago, and decided to take a year out to pursue my life long goal of volunteering abroad. With my final summer left before I started university in September, I signed up for International Citizen Service. This was an incredible decision and I am having an amazing time in Zomba, Malawi. I’m constantly learning new things, and I hope while I’m here I can use my skills in drama and public speaking to make a difference in this awesome country. Also, I love cats.

Cicely

Hi! My name is Cicely, and I’ve just finished my second year at Sheffield University. I decided to participate in International Citizen Service over the summer period. I’m a landscape architecture student, who is interested in how public space can be designed to further social justice. So far, my time in Malawi has been eye opening! Getting past the initial culture shock was a challenge, but I have now settled into my host home and local community.

Caitlyn

Greetings! My name is Caitlyn, and I’m 19 years old from good ol’ Yorkshire! I’m currently on a gap year, and I hope to start my TEFL qualification by spending 2018 in China teaching English as a foreign language. I signed up to International Citizen Service to try and gain a wider perspective of different lifestyles and culture (as well as growing up, my mum would argue!) I’m a huge kid at heart, and I have a soft spot for Disney and Star Wars- both which I have relied on as a form of entertainment and a way to de-stress during my placement. I have discovered a lot about myself in such a short period of time, and I hope this continues during my placement. I’m excited to execute my role as the communications lead for this project, even if this involves nagging my team to complete blog deadlines! I’m fortunate enough to work with a great team of diverse people, and I’m looking forward to the many opportunities to arise over the next 8 weeks. My goal I hope to achieve during my time in Zomba, is to teach the locals the ways of the force, and the glory powers of the Yorkshire pudding! (Pardon the Star Wars reference)



We hope you join us on our adventures in Zomba- and we will try to update as often as possible*



*Please mind the internet service in Malawi- it’s as reliable as a chocolate fireman!



Best wishes,

Team Zombe!

No comments:

Post a Comment